Tuesday 28 May 2013

Chapter Seven

Deadwood was in uproar - the people panicking to get out of town before the terrible vengeance would be visited on them. Jimi was not convinced that their fears were well founded; probably just a panic reaction to the unexpected news. He followed Susan to where she said his horse and guns had been left. They entered the livery stable and she pointed to the chestnut: ’There you go Jimi - just like I said’
‘Why didn’t you go with Al?’ he asked.
‘I wasn’t invited. He’s much more concerned to get his gold out of the bank before the Sioux arrive than worry about an ex-partner’
‘So what are you going to do now?’
‘That kinda depends on you - you wouldn’t leave a defenceless woman to the mercy of ravaging savages would you?’ She said smiling.
‘Why should I care. You shot me’
‘Oh, get over it will you - it was only a stun cartridge’
‘Al wouldn’t have been using stun cartridges. You set me up hoping to get to my mother’
‘I told you, I was named after a femme fatale and that’s the kind of thing we do’ 
She was still smiling and deep down Jimi was finding this new Miss Truly very exciting.
‘That’s a real bad attack of Makossan role playing’ he said.
‘You can talk - medicine man’
‘OK, where’s your pod? - I’ll take you there and no further’
‘Why, thank you, good sir. It’s a few miles north in the woods’
‘Jump up then’
They weaved their way through the evacuating Deadwoodians. He had never seen so many bushy moustaches before - even on some of the women! They passed the famous marshal Seth Bullock trying, and failing, to keep some kind of order in the exodus. Jimi hoped this cesspit that polluted the sacred Black Hills would burn and never be rebuilt. Finally they cleared the town limits and started into the woods. 
‘This the right direction?’ he inquired
‘Yeah, I marked a tree near where I parked’
‘Why haven’t you got a homing device?‘
’This is my first trip - give a girl a break, I forgot, alright?’
‘That’s great, half the Souix nation rampaging through these woods anytime soon and we’re looking for Susan loves Al carved on a tree’
‘You’re jealousy is showing again - look over there’
They rode up to the tree and Susan dismounted. Carved on the trunk was ‘Home’. Susan felt around trying to touch the cloaked pod.
‘It’s not here Jimi’
He dismounted and joined the search.
‘Damn it woman, you sure this is the place?’
‘You see the carving’
‘Well it’s getting dark, I suppose we better make camp and figure out what to do with you’
‘Oh, goody, I love camping out’
Jimi groaned with exasperation. 
He had managed to shoot a small deer and they sat watching it roast on a spit above the fire. Their insulated traveller’s suits kept them warm in the cold winter night air.
‘This sure is a beautiful planet. Do you think Makossa was ever like this?’ said Susan wistfully. 
‘Perhaps, many thousands of years ago. The Lakota believe this place is the centre of the world’
A distant wolf howled. Susan shuffled to his side.
‘Don’t worry, he won’t bother us - not with the fire. Even bears stay away from fire’
‘You mean there are bears here?’
‘You scared cowgirl?’
‘A little bit - I’m glad you’re here, I’m sorry I shot you’
‘Just don’t do it again. I kinda wish I hadn’t shot anyone either. I keep seeing the barman’s face as he died. Guess I’m not much of a warrior’
‘What are we going to do Jimi?’
‘I lived with my parents in a cabin not far from here, there’s a chance my mother’s there but she’s not going to be pleased to see you is she?’
‘Guess not, do you think she’s got it there?’
‘What is it with you and the skull? It’s only carved crystal you know’
‘Still a sceptic then, you wait, Jimi Twelvetrees, you just wait and see’

No comments:

Post a Comment