Sunday 19 May 2013

Chapter Four


  ‘How did you get in here - are you spirit or man?’
‘I am a man, Great Chief Spotted Elk. I come with a message from Wovoka’
Another person in the gloomy lodge moved into the fire light. ‘Shall I call for your braves father?’
Spotted Elk was not easily frightened and he shook his head: ‘How do I know you are not a Manitou?’
‘My name is Twelvetrees, you knew my father’
‘You lie, Twelvetrees was a white man’
‘My mother is Lakota’
The Chief sat down and took up his pipe again: ‘I did not know Twelvetrees had a son with Two Moons’
‘I was taken away to be educated in the East’
He nodded for Jimi to sit: ’I loved them both, now speak Wovoka’s words’
‘Do not believe this stranger Father - he lies’
Looks Far’s eyes glinted with anger.
‘Forgive my daughter, son of Twelvetrees, she has no respect when men are talking. We live in troubled times’
‘You must judge me by what I tell you. Wovoka has had a vision and you must not go South until you have the powerful medicine that I bring’
‘I have told no one of my decision to go south - truly these are the prophet’s words’
‘Tomorrow send Short Bull and Kicking Bear to the Butte just north of here. I will be there to give them rifles that you have never seen before - they will defeat the wasicu’ 
‘Father do not let him talk of war, we are so few and another war will destroy us all’ 
‘I promise you that 100 braves with these rifles will be unbeatable - the Great Spirit has willed it so. If you do not fight you will all die at a place called Wounded Knee Creek where Custer’s men will get their revenge for the Little Big Horn’
Looks Far was about to speak again but the Chief raised his hand to quieten her. 
‘I know what is in the white man’s heart - Sitting Bull knew as well before they killed him. We will fight, but when and where?’
‘I leave that to you great Chief - I can tell you that the Seventh will be at Wounded Knee five days from now’
‘Will you smoke with me?’
‘I will but first I must know of my parents. My father was murdered but what has happened to my mother?’
‘My daughter knows of it - speak’
‘So a woman must speak now?’
Spotted Elk rolled his eyes in exasperation.
‘A man called Swearengen took her to Deadwood ‘
Jimi was dumbfounded: ‘Al Swearengen?’
‘You know this man?’
‘Kind of - what did he want my mother for?’
‘He believed she had something that belonged to him - that’s all I know’
‘Thank you - I will smoke now’
Jimi smoked and answered what questions he could but his mind was on Al Swearengen and Deadwood. He only knew of this man from a TV series that the humans had made in the early 21st century. From the portrayal he was glad he had brought his colt ‘peace maker’ with him. What could his mother have that Al would be interested in? He had looked forward to joining the fight at Wounded Knee but he must go immediately to Deadwood. He would show them how to use the Kalashnikovs and then head out. He wished he had practiced more with the revolver - he couldn't very well take a semi automatic rifle into town. This would be a test of his courage for sure. If he had to, he would kill - wouldn't he?

No comments:

Post a Comment